Thursday, June 01, 2006

damascean delights

Last night, after work, I went to a Syrian restaurant with my friend Lloyd, not far from where I work in Ladbroke Grove. I wasn't sure what to expect considering I was entering part of the 'axis of evil' George Bush talks about, but thankfully my apprehensions turned out to be based on misguided intelligence.
The restaurant was a hospitable place, and the chicken dish I ordered was very, very tasty. I also tried some baklava for dessert (on Lloyd's recommendation) and was again impressed. True, our waiter was rather slow preparing the bill, but I'd be hard pressed to qualify this as evil, and I'd certainly be reluctant to commit troops over it. Instead, I just tipped slightly more conservatively, which I thought a reasonable compromise.
When I got home I did a bit more flat emptying (that porridge I'm never going to eat bit the dust) in preparation for my moving out on 17 June, and hoovered under my bed. Finished just in time to watch some of Big Brother 7 (Sezer is toast on Friday), and a slightly disappointing documentary about Cynthia Payne and her escapades in 1980s Streatham. Cynthia Payne is clearly incredibly interesting, but alas the same could not be said for the lazy profile Channel 4 turned in on her.

No comments: