Saturday, April 07, 2007

pushkar

I could have made so many more friends out here if only I knew the slightest of things about the game of cricket and how it is played. But the truth is I don't even know the basic rules, or the names of any cricketers except for Ian Botham and Geoff Boycott. There's no point in trying to pretend either, my lack of knowledge is immediately transparent, and saying: 'I'm sure going to a match makes a lovely day out,' wins me few favours. It was the same with football in South East Asia (my knowledge of football extends to knowing who David Beckham is) where everyone wanted to talk to me about the Premiership, West Ham, or Arsene Wenger.
I'm writing from Pushkar, which may be my favourite place in India yet. The small town, which has a population of 15 000 people, sits surrounded by tall sheltering brown hills under a misty blue sky. There is a holy lake in the centre around which the houses and community are built. The lake is said to have appeared after Brahma, while he was in the area, dropped a lotus flower to the ground. Pushkar is highly populated with tourists, and I find here the highest concentration of European/American faces I've seen since I arrived in India. I think I like it here because the setting is beautiful, it's less in your face than Jaipur, Agra, or Delhi, and it's very easy and easy going. Pushkar, like Agra, also seems to be a place of regular power cuts. I've checked in at the Hotel Kanhaia near Mali Mandir. It's my favourite hotel to date (Pushkar is doing well!). The family who run it are lovely, the rooms are well decorated and well kept, and yet it is still very very cheap. If you come to Pushkar I'd very much recommend staying here. I've just had breakfast on the roof of the hotel. As I ate I watched the monkeys roaming and jumping from roof top to roof top around me. That reminds me: one evening while I was in Agra I was unlocking my hotel room door and saw a shadow appear to my left. I assumed it was the person from the next room waiting to pass, but when I looked properly saw that a monkey was sat may be five feet from me watching me unlock the door.
I enjoyed the journey across here from Jaipur which was made on a clackety old bus. It only took us three hours (I thought it would be five) and involved lots of unorthodox manoeuvring and overtaking along the busy and dusty roads as we went. It was incredibly hot in the bus, but all the windows were open which helped a little. There were several other tourists on board and it amused me that they made a fuss about sitting in their allotted seat numbers even though there were only about 10 other passengers on what was a 50 seater.
I meant to note down before, but forgot, that I've seen several snake charmers over the last week or so. In fact, I got quite a shock at the City Palace in Jaipur when a guy whipped open a basket in front of me and a cobra jumped up and out of it. I'd be interested to know if these snakes have been de-venomised - if not surely snake charming is extremely dangerous? I also meant to note that I've been reading Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene. It's a brilliant book, a bit of a farce and a good page turner. At one point the main character, Mr Wormold, is asked by the British Secret Service for details of a suspected atomic generator hidden in the forests of Cuba, and having no such information sends them a hand written blue print of his vacuum cleaner instead, which is duly accepted and categorised as being of grave concern. Our Man is book number one of the trip (I've got five in my bag altogether).
India has eighteen official languages: Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu. Learning the language is therefore a rather daunting prospect, but nevertheless I am trying to get at least a few words under my belt. My Hindi makes slow progress. So far I've got: 'namaste' (hello), 'shukriyaa' (thank you), 'aap kaise' (how are you?), 'chai' (tea), and 'dhobi' (washerman/washerwoman). I am now fully equipped to courteously meet and greet a washerwoman, and offer her a cup of tea.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello mate - I was in Goa just a few years ago so let me get back to you.

Well Liz and I were in South India in May/June during the rains. It was wet and made for some hairy bus journeys but didn't stop us doing anything (actually, that sounded flippant - the bus and train journeys do start to get really scary.)The monsoon hits India hard, but you dry off very quickly. Avoiding flooding can get tricky. Getting off the beaten track can be more difficult in the monsoon for this reason.

Having said that I think the important thing will be to head South as the Summer approaches. Hillstations make a welcome break from the heat if it starts to drive you crazy!

Raj.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you are not in Nesdaen?

Charlie said...

Thanks Raj. I'm basically trying to gauge whether it rains on the west coast during late June/early July for an hour or so and then lays off for the rest of the day (making doing things manageable) or whether it just rains and rains and rains relentlessly (and you can't do anything).

Also, suggestions on good hillstations to retreat to will be gratefully received. Already looking forward to heading north of Delhi to cooler weather in a week or two.

Lloyd: no.

Ur Man CD said...

Hey yo Charlie

Long time no comment and indeed long time no update on this blog of your latest escapade.

I love the photos some of them are really beautiful, may I ... ahem ... redistribute them and use them for my own nefarious ... I mean beneficial purposes?

Anonymous said...

Do you think extensive travelling has had a profound effect upon you? Were you inspired to travel, or are you travelling to be inspired?

Is it more meaningful to you than a trip to ASDA? Or just more enjoyable?

Anonymous said...

In my experience the rains were hard but short lived. Could have a couple of showers a day each fr an hour say.

Will ask my cousin about hillstations around Delhi.

Raj.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie,
I was looking forward to reading your impressions on India and I am not disappointed! I am travelling again through your blog and it's great!! I loved the Taj and it's so lovely to see your beautiful photos...anyway I wonder if you'll come back hooked on cricket... after 4 months of seeing and hearing kids play every evening, as soon as the sun goes down and sometimes in the most beautiful settings, I wonder if the game won't get into your skin! Well Charlie, I look forward to reading more about India, take care and enjoy! CĂ©line

Charlie said...

Chris: yes as long as I don't end up in a News of the World double page spread I don't mind.

Raj: cheers. That's exactly the kind of information I'm after.

Lloyd: I don't think I've changed much at all as a result of travelling around over the last year other than developing specific travelling skills like bargaining and endurance on train and bus journeys. It's just fun seeing new, pretty, and different places. That's about as deep as it goes.

Celine: thanks very much Celine. I'm not opposed to the idea of cricket so who knows maybe I will get to know more about it.