Wednesday, April 04, 2007

jaipur

I've moved on to Jaipur. The five hour journey by train from Agra across here turned out to be a bit of a trial. The train left on time, there were no delays along the way, and there were friendly passengers in my carriage who were keen to get to know me. The problem was my stomach. Just before I left for the train station at Agra I began to feel a bit nauseous. Perhaps unwisely I decided to carry on regardless. I won't bore you with the details but it was a long and rather painful five hours. I did make it to Jaipur though, and eventually got to my hotel - the Stephels Hotel - a little after 11pm. I checked in and was finally able to lie down and rest.
I spent Tuesday recovering, either asleep on my bed or drinking water with electrolyte rehydration powder. I thought it better to rest solidly rather than try to soldier on only to get worse, and I was right to do so because by Tuesday evening I felt 100% better and had a slight return of appetite. Interestingly I took my laundry through to the hotel manager during the day and asked him if they had a laundry service. 'I'll get my boy to do it,' he said and then in walked a guy who must of been at least 70 and took it off my hands.
Today I've been out sightseeing in Jaipur. It's a nice city; there's a much better feeling of space here than in Agra. The streets are wider and the buildings don't overhang so much. I started the morning by having a cup of tea and a chat with a guy known as 'Guru,' and then spent the latter part of the morning at the Hawa Mahal, a five storey royal tower which was built in 1799 for the ladies of the Jaipur royal household (to enable them to watch over the city). Like everything I've seen so far it was simply amazing. After that I walked across to the City Palace, home of the Maharaja of Jaipur (and a pal of Prince Charles if you're interested). The palace is a blend of Rajasthani and Mughal architecture. Inside the Mubarak Mahal building within the complex they had on exhibition the enormous coat of Sawai Madho Singh I. It was unbelievably large - he was reputedly two metres tall, one metre wide and weighed 250 kilograms. He also had 108 wives. Not sure I believe all that but the coat was there and that's what the sign said. Finally, I climbed the nearby Minar Swarga Sal (the Heaven Piercing Minaret) which gave me a panoramic view of Jaipur and the shopping bazaars below. Happily, along my way, I picked up an adapter for my battery charger, and an onward bus ticket (for 6 April) to my next destination: Pushkar.
Tomorrow I've arranged for a Tuk Tuk driver called Ram to run me up into the hills outside the city and to Nahargarh (the Tiger Fort) which overlooks the city from a sheer ridge to the north, and the Amber Fort which is built just behind and dates back to the 16th Century. After I'm going on to Jantar Mantar (back in the city centre), the famous observatory built by Jaipur's founder Jai Singh in 1728. Then it will be time to pack up my things again and onwards to Pushkar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there my friend.

First morning of the Easter bank hols weeekend and first thing on my list was to catch up with you and your travels. Glad you're acclimatising to India so rapidly - sorry to hear about the belly. I'm yet to hear of anyone who goes to India without suffering at some point, but knowing your sturdy constitution I'm sure you'll do better than most!

I'm sorry we didn't manage to hook up beofre you left BTW. I tried calling on the Sunday but it seems you had already left.
But never mind, we can catch up properly in just a few months time. Or alternatively...
I have been toying with the idea of joining you on your last leg. What do you think? Where will you be in July?

It's only an idea at the mo, but I was planning on going to India in October anyway. The only thing that puts me off is the heat!

Chat soon my friend.

Raj.

Charlie said...

Thanks mate.

Please do come out and visit me again if you want to. My friend Jon is also interested in possibly visiting around the same time, and maybe even my friend Andrew too.

According to the plan as it stands I would be on the west coast around that time - somewhere like Kerala or Goa.

However, it's going to be getting in to the rainy season by then and I have little clear intelligence on what the weather will be like, and whether or not it's worth me encouraging people to come out and visit.

If it's an hour a day of rain then back to warm weather then I'd say fine, but if it's going to be bucketing down all day everyday and things largely close down to tourists may be it's not worth encouraging others to fly all the way out here, and maybe I should alter my own plans a bit.

Can you offer any advice on this? Any intelligence/knowledge would be appreciated.

Matt_Zipfel said...

Hi Charles,

I had a chat with one of the indian guys here at work about your weather predicament.

We said that basically:

North and West - is hot

West - mumbai - avoid at all costs during the monsoon season, as can rain all day. Best to be in Kerala or Goa (South west coast) for that time when it should just rain a couple of times each day for an hour or so.

South and Southwest is much more bearable during the monsoon season.

He didn't mention East. If you are interested in East, I'll ask him about that too.