Sunday, October 08, 2006

vientiane

I'm wearing my new t-shirt. It's predominantly white with two-tone brown and beige stripes down the left and right sides, along the latter of which is written the word, 'quiaoguang.' I assume this is the name of the fashion label that produced the t-shirt. Looking back, I got a bit carried away with my birthday treats yesterday: after having a cheeseburger and chips, the t-shirt of course, two cakes (a caramel slice - finally found one - and a lemon slice), and an ice cream, I also added a Traditional Lao Massage to the list of extravagances.
I had an interesting conversation with a local guy yesterday near the Presidential Palace. Pointing at the Palace, I told him, looking for confirmation, that this was the house of the President of Laos. He told me I was mistaken. It was not the home of the incumbent Premier, he said, but rather the place where all visiting Presidents and Prime Ministers stay when they are in Laos. He added, get this, that the current President just lives in an ordinary little house in the city, just like everyone else, and has no special Palace or State Apartment at his disposal. I found this quite fascinating, but then I guess this is a Communist country.
Thinking about it, I was a little premature in describing Vientiane a couple of days ago as being the same size as Kessingland. It is bigger than this, although not by much. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say Vientiane is around the same size as Lowestoft (in Suffolk), accepting that here there are more people crammed into the same space.
It has also come to my attention that Vientiane has some rather strange and unusual cars on its streets. There are no end of Volkswagon Beetles about the place; they seem to be everywhere, and lots of old 70s cars, old Datsun's and the like. I've also seen a couple of flash motors which seem far too expensive to be here: a luminous yellow Porsche Boxter, and an old Ford Mustang. On my first day here, a London 'black cab' taxi drove past me at a junction (it was green not black). I've no idea how it made its way over here, especially given the well-known reluctance of London taxi drivers to go south of the river. It's quite a fare from Shaftesbury Avenue to Laos.
Today is the climax of the Vientiane Boat Racing Festival, so I've been by the river watching the competitors battle it out. I've been extraordinarily lucky to be in Vientiane this week. Because of the festival there is a party atmosphere, stalls and people all over the place who wouldn't normally be here, and a jovial fun feeling predominates.
I've had one last hunt around the city, and now I'm ready to go. I've just been to Wat Ho Pha Keo for a look around. During my first couple of days in Thailand I went to see the famous Emerald Buddha at the Grand Palace (I think I blogged about it?). It turns out - I found out this afternoon - that his original home was in fact Wat Ho Pha Keo here in Lao, and he is of Lao nationality not Thai. He was unceremoniously nicked by the Thai army some years ago, who took him back to Thailand and built him a new and more ornate Temple in the Grand Palace grounds.
I'll be catching a bus north tomorrow morning, first thing. Destination: Vang Vieng.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you pronounce "Wat Ho Pha Keo"? Sounds as if it might be rude.

Anonymous said...

Hello chum,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Who needs a party when you can have a cake from the bakery followed by a beer by the Mekong?

I look forward to buying you another belated birthday beer come December.

Went out for a belated birthday outing myself yesterday. Finally went on the grand ole Eye wheel of London town. Thought it was great. Made me think of you as we had talked of doing it for ages.

And while I'm at it...

Also thought of you when looking through cinema listings yesterday as there's a film version of History Boys coming out next week. Will be going to see it, I'll let you know how it is.

New series of Extras - overall not so hot. Much sadder than the first but some great moments which I will tell you about it in detail when I get over. The best ep featured Cheggers.

Not employing people because of their age is officially illegal in Britain.

Jack Straw made some terrible comments about how women shouldn't wear the veil when they see him as it makes him feel "uncomfortable".

But really...you're not missing much. It sounds a whole lot more exciting where you are.

See you soon me ole mucka.

Raj.

Charlie said...

Matt Z: 'Pha' is pronounced 'Pa' thankfully, and the rest is all phonetic. Rudeness is therefore just about avoided.

Raj: we'll have to start emailing at some point about what we're going to do/see in Malaysia. I've had confirmation from a TEFL teacher living in Penang that getting hold of beer is no problem across Malaysia (taking into account the large Malay Muslim population) so we should be fine on that score.

Paul Ross was once quoted as saying: 'if you go into a B and Q on a Sunday morning for some nails, who do you want to get advice off: the 17 year old kid in aisle two, or the 65 year old in aisle three? Aisle three every time.' As ever, the man speaks sense.

Straw will just have to 'see them in Strasbourg.'

Anonymous said...

Hi Charles,

I’m living in the young, small natural gas rich country of Qatar, about an hours flight from Dubai, so if you feel like a stop over on your way home from Singapore you are more than welcome. Having flown that route from the UK on several occasions I have often found myself wishing the pilot would stop somewhere on the way for a pee, a coffee and a couple of gallons of aviation fuel just so I can remove my legs from the indentation I have made in the seat in front to stretch my legs! Anyway, the offer is there, we have beer but no bacon… Why is it you crave the things you can’t have when you are away from home? I don’t eat pork but I could murder a bacon butty!

BTW - I talked to Mum tonight, I said I had been in contact, she sends her love and said she’ll be thinking of you.

Take care of yourself,
Chris

Anonymous said...

A very happy belated birthday Charlie. Very glad to hear that you indulged yourself to an array of birthday treats. Hearing about the caramel slice makes me want to devour one right now.

I am sure you look incredibly slick and stylish in your new t-shirt....you will have to include a photo of you wearing it so I can fully appreciate it.

I too celebrated my 29th Birthday last week....but can't say that I feel the same joy as you about getting older. I find it all thoroughly depressing....a sure sign that I am getting old is that I am starting to have to take nap on a Sunday afternoon!! All down hill from here I reckon. Still going to start planning the big 30 celebrations for next year soon....

Take care Charlie and keep enjoying yourself.

Love
Hanna xxx

Charlie said...

Chris: thanks very much, I'll definitely keep that in mind. In terms of importance beer ranks more highly for me than bacon, (although I am very partial to the odd bacon sandwich with brown sauce) so Qatar should be able to meet my needs!

Hanna: Happy Birthday!! If my memory is correct you're two days older than me. I hope you had a few barcardi breezers in London on the 5th and - no doubt - a punishing hangover on the 6th.