Saturday, October 07, 2006

10585 days gone

Today is my birthday, and I am 29 years old. I was born 10585 days ago in Northgate Hospital in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, and now here I am, just below China, in a pair of green shorts, only a year away from 30.
I share my birthday with, amongst others, Vladimir Putin, Desmond Tutu, Heinrich Himmler, Elijah Mohammed, and Pop Idol judge Simon Cowell. Many important events have also occured on 7 October: 'Cats' opened on Broadway on 7 October in 1982, the US invasion of Afghanistan began on 7 October 2001, and Arnold Schwarzenegger became Governor Schwarzenegger on 7 October 2003. Poor old Ken Bigley died on my Birthday, as did Edgar Allen Poe.
I know most people hate it, but I generally enjoy getting older. To me it signals extra experience, and - if this doesn't sound too pompous - wisdom. From my perspective I'm another year down the road, with a few more achievements under my belt, and a bit more confidence in my view of the world and the way I behave. I don't have to worry about my body falling apart for a good few years yet, so for me being older brings no disadvantages.
However, I do always feel slightly uncomfortable if there is too much attention on my birthday, and never want, for example, to have a party. A couple of cards and a phone call from Mum is as much as I want, and to be honest I could do without the cards (it's a waste of paper). So I'm happy enough to be away by myself this time.
I'm going to celebrate today by buying myself a new t-shirt (I suppose it will inevitably have 'I heart Laos' or 'Beer Laos' written on it), eating a cake from the bakery, and drinking a Beer Lao by the Mekong this evening.
It's a cool day today, which is nice, and I feel fresh as a daisy after my morning shower. Time I got off my backside to do some more exploring.
Don't worry, be happy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charles,
Aunty Marg passed your blog link to me. I have been enviously following your movements for the past week and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your journey across Asia to date. I particularly enjoyed the Vietnamese dinner in the lap episode from “I’m only human,” probably because it’s the kind of thing that happens to me! Incidentally, Vietnamese for p*$$ off is “dahn tu tat.” However, be careful how you use it, they may be small, but they all carry Swiss Army knives by the sound of things! Happy Birthday and have a continued safe journey, we look forward to reading more about your travels as time goes by.
Take Care.
Chris Baxter.

Charlie said...

'Dahn tu tat.' I'll remember that one, but will exercise with caution.

It's great to hear from you Chris, and thanks very much for emailing. Hope all is well with you. I believe you may live in/around Dubai now? At least this is what I was told by Mum a while back?

Love also to Aunty Bridget.

Take care,
Charles

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday (or hope it was).
How does it feel being 29? I've still got that to come, albeit very shortly.

I don't know why people worry about age either...

Anonymous said...

Hello chum,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Who needs a party when you can have a cake from the bakery followed by a beer by the Mekong?

I look forward to buying you another belated birthday beer come December.

Went out for a belated birthday outing myself yesterday. Finally went on the grand ole Eye wheel of London town. Thought it was great. Made me think of you as we had talked of doing it for ages.

And while I'm at it...

Also thought of you when looking through cinema listings yesterday as there's a film version of History Boys coming out next week. Will be going to see it, I'll let you know how it is.

New series of Extras - overall not so hot. Much sadder than the first but some great moments which I will tell you about it in detail when I get over. The best ep featured Cheggers.

Not employing people because of their age is officially illegal in Britain.

Jack Straw made some terrible comments about how women shouldn't wear the veil when they see him as it makes him feel "uncomfortable".

But really...you're not missing much. It sounds a whole lot more exciting where you are.

See you soon me ole mucka.

Raj.

Charlie said...

Everything changes at 29. The mists clear and everything is understood. Questions are answered and inner peace is attained.

No, just feels the same actually.

Anonymous said...

Another year older, but no less the homosexual for it.

Charlie said...

That's news to me, but thank you for your thoughts and comments.