Saturday, July 15, 2006

muay thai

Day 17, and I'm on Ko Samui. The main resort in Chaweng to be precise. I caught the ferry yesterday morning and it took about an hour to get down here. The weather had been lovely all morning, but a few minutes after we set sail the heavens opened, and the sea suddenly became extremely choppy.
I don't normally get sea sick, and I didn't this time, but I was 'nervous' as we proceeded. I tried to not to look out of the window too much, and chatted to a couple of trainee solicitors from Newcastle to take my mind off the mad rolling and creaking of the boat. It just about worked, and we got there eventually.
Lucky for me, I managed to get inside the lower decks, and so stayed dry, but there were a couple of hundred people who had to sit on top of the boat - they got drenched to the bone and looked distinctly green as they stepped back onto dry land (which was also wet because it was still bucketing down).
My first impression is that Ko Samui is far more developed than Ko Pha-Ngan, and has every western comfort you could ask for. There's a McDonalds, a Starbucks, and even a Boots. There are also lots of massive plush hotels and spas. The Lonely Planet says Ko Samui is a mega resort and you should just enjoy it for what it is, so that's what I'm doing trying to do.
The beach here in Chaweng is worthy of note: it's a 6km stretch of white sand, palm trees, and turquoise sea, although it is also over run with American families. I went for a run this morning along the sand, and intend to go again tomorrow.
OK. Confession time: I went to McDonalds yesterday for lunch. It was pretty much up to scratch, although I was perturbed by the absence of barbecue sauce. The best thing on the menu. Won't do it again. My wrist has been slapped.
Last night I headed over to the Chawang Stadium for an evening of Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing). I've never been to a boxing match before, and I'm surprised what a good time I had. There were about a dozen five round fights, some ending in points decisions, others in dramatic knockouts. One guy got his face slashed open in round 3 but bravely fought on to the end, embracing his opponent at the end of the fight.
Muay Thai differs from our boxing in that you can kick as well as punch. In fact, punching is considered fairly unimportant, the most prestigious shots being long kicks to the head, or knees to the abdominal area. The boxers were astonishingly accomplished athletes, and all decent sportsman.
It all made me wonder if I would like to go and watch some boxing when I get back to the UK? This would be an ideal thing to do with my Dad, who used to be a boxer, and then boxing trainer, in his younger days. Perhaps I'll ask him when I get home?
I had to stand for the National Anthem, in honour of the King of Thailand (Rama IX), before the boxing began. The Thai Royal Family, and the King in particular, are generally very highly revered by the people here. There are two things you don't do in Thailand, one is insult the Royal Family, and the other is slag off Buddhism. Avoid either of these acts and you should get by.
Factoid - the King of Thailand is the longest reigning monarch in the world. He's been the King for 60 years. He's also big into cameras.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»