Friday, June 16, 2006

my last day at work

I'm sat behind my desk in room G29 and it's finally arrived - my last day at work. All that remains is to re-direct my telephone, and give my work colleagues my new email address and a link to this blog.
As ever on defining 'turning point' days, I don't know quite what to make of it, or quite how I feel about things, but it's a lovely sunny day outside, and that's a good way to finish.
I've said goodbye to most people I've worked with, and went out with everyone in my team on Wednesday night to The Mother Black Cap, a local pub in Ladbroke Grove, for a few drinks. I had a good time, and quaffed a more than reasonable quantity of Guinness (doubt the black stuff will be readily available in rural Laos). I wanted to go to the pub because it was used as a location in the cult film 'Withnail and I,' and I also used to walk past it every morning on my way in to work back when I lived in Maida Vale.
So, never again will I sit behind my desk over in the corner of the office, nor will I have the pleasure of being shouted at down the telephone by an angry parent. Nor will a meeting sometimes go well. No more ringing doorbells and getting no answer. No more solution focused therapy scales. No more pigeon hole checking, or obsessive hole punch emptying (I've got a problem). And no more saying: 'don't worry I'm sure we can sort this out' whilst thinking 'Jesus Christ I've got no idea what to do about this.'
I will miss it all but my out of office assistant is now on and will be for sometime.
Right, I've got some possessions to pack (I leave London tomorrow morning), and then 11 days on the East Anglian Riviera (Lowestoft) to enjoy before my trip begins.

No comments: