Tuesday, July 17, 2007

my india

How long have you been in India? Four months. I arrived here on 26 March 2007.
What was the last book you bought? The Nehrus and the Gandhis by Tariq Ali. I bought it in the Gandhi Museum near Raj Ghat in Delhi. It's a very good book. It paints a clear, vivid picture of India's foremost political dynasty.
Do you have a favourite restaurant in India? No particular restaurant has become my favourite because I have moved about so frequently. Generally I like being in open fronted rundown cafes that serve snacks and milky tea.
What's your first memory of India? At the High Consulate of India in London. It was here that I first experienced the Indian philosophy of queuing (the queue must be related to by the queuer much as a bull relates to a matador) and also the Indian sense of personal space (none is too much).
When did you last lose something valuable and what was it? The only thing I have lost on this trip is a blue biro. A man in Bikaner borrowed it from me and I forgot to ask for it back.
What is the most beautiful landmark in India? The Bengali actress Bipasha Basu. Second place goes to the Taj Mahal.
What is your favourite view? The view over the Himalayas from Mussoorie. The view is sublime.
Where is the most intimidating place in India? At the exits of the international airports. World-class touts and scam artists wait for the weak and vulnerable to arrive.
Have you ever been a victim of violence in India? Never and I've never felt threatened once. I've felt harassed many times, even having beggars physically hanging from me on a number of occasions, but never in danger.
What's the first piece of advice you'd give a India tourist? Let it go. You're not going to be in control. Accept it now.
What's the most embarrassing thing you've done in India? I think the other night: having to ask a man to come in to my room to remove a cockroach because I was too scared to take care of it myself.
When did you last lose your temper? In Madurai a few weeks ago. I was being pestered by someone who wanted to take me to a handicrafts shop so he could collect a commission. The most angry I have been on this trip was in Kota Railway Station in Rajasthan following a hard day of travelling which at that point seemed to have been for nothing.
Where did you last blow 2000 rupees and what was it on? I've never spent that much. I had an hour long ayurvedic massage in Hampi last week which cost me 350 rupees plus a 50 rupee tip (altogether adding up to four pounds eighty five pence in British money).
What's the last film you saw in India and did you enjoy it? I saw 'Journey Bombay to Goa' at the Inox in Panaji a few days ago. Yes - I enjoyed it. It's a 'roadtrip comedy.' I picked it because I am about to do the journey in reverse.
What will you miss most when you've left India? The instant friendship of strangers and the sweets.
When was the last time you broke the law? I've been very careful not to break the law, at least to my knowledge. I have no desire to take a guest tour of an Indian prison.
What was the last conversation you had with an autorickhaw driver? He asked me: 'Hello. Which country? What is your good name? What is your age? Marriage? What is your job? Salary?'
If you were invisible for a day, where would you go in India and what would you do? I'd like to go to one of the Bollywood film studios. I'd like to see if, as I suspect, the actors and actresses are ego maniacs and prone to tantrums behind the scenes.
Have you ever been refused entry anywhere? Yes. A cinema in New Delhi. I had a camera with me and they were worried I would try to make a pirate copy of the film.
What is the most expensive meal you've had in India and with whom did you eat it? A pizza in TGI Fridays in New Delhi back in April. I was with a nice man I met from Kolkata called Swarup Panda. We also had a few beers.
What is your most memorable night out? An afternoon out actually... drinking Toddy with Pai at his home in Fort Kochi (Kerala) and then meeting his Mum and Grandmother.
What and where is your favourite painting or work of art? I don't have particular favourite but I do love the two dimensional Indian tradition of miniature painting. I saw some lovely examples of this up in Delhi and Himachal Pradesh.
What last made you cry? I was close to crying in Kota Railway Station after my train had been diverted to the wrong part of the country but managed to hold it together. In truth, I felt more like punching someone than crying. I haven't cried on this trip.
Where in India would you have your ashes scattered? In the Ganges at Varanasi. I could float down the river and into the hair of a bathing North Indian beauty.
If your hotel was on fire, which three things would you rescue from your hotel room? Passport, camera, and my Lonely Planet guide book (I could then look in the index for: 'what to do when your hotel burns down').

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get those questions from? I guess you didn't make them up yourself.... (When was the last time you broke the law...!)

Charlie said...

I got the idea from the 'My London' interviews they print in the Evening Standard newspaper. I've used the same set of questions but applied them to India.