Thursday, June 14, 2007

inventory of my backpack/possessions

1. MAIN BACKPACK
.
Clothing: 1 pair of running shoes, 1 pair of sandals, 1 towel, 3 shirts, 4 t-shirts, 2 pairs of cargo shorts, 5 pairs of boxer shorts, 2 pairs of cotton 'trunk' underpants (for extra comfort), 7 handkerchiefs, 1 pair of jeans, 1 jumper, 1 pair of swimming trunks, 1 pair of running shorts, 3 pairs of socks, 1 sarong, and 1 rain coat.
.
Misc. articles: 1 medical pack, 1 sewing kit, 2 spare batteries, 1 battery charger, 1 plug adapter, 1 torch, 1 bottle of travel wash, 1 eye mask, 2 bottles of suntan lotion, 2 pens (1 black and 1 blue), 1 packet of dioralyte tablets, 1 packet of Imodium tablets, 1 wash bag, 1 bottle of shower gel, 1 bottle of shampoo, 1 roll on deodorant, 1 bottle of shaving gel, 1 Gillette Mach 3 razor (the best a man can get), 4 spare razor blades, 1 toothbrush, 1 tube of toothpaste (ayurvedic), 1 container of dental floss, 1 tube of mosquito lotion, and 1 mosquito net.
.
2. AUXILIARY 'HOLLYOAKS' SMALL BAG
.
1 camera (Fujifilm Finepix 5.1 mega pixel), 1 USB cable, 1 notebook for recording day to day tasks, 1 bottle of anti-malarial tablets, 1 Lonely Planet, 4 more books: An Autobiography by Mahatma Gandhi, The Nehrus and the Gandhis by Tariq Ali, Milosevic by Adam LeBor, and Improve Your Grammar by John Seely, 1 calculator, and 1 purple plastic folder containing the following: 1 vaccinations book, 1 photocopy of my passport, 10 spare passport photos, 1 set of Barclays Bank cardholder protection documents, 1 set of personal insurance details, 1 copy of my flights details, and there is also 1 smaller transparent pouch in which I have been collecting my ticket stubs and the like.
.
3. MONEY BELT
.
1 passport, my current withdrawn rupees, all ATM receipts, some pounds sterling, some US dollars, some travellers cheques, and my most recent bus or train ticket (at the moment a train ticket to Mysore).
.
4. WALLET
.
Money for the day, 1 Barclays debit card, 1 UK driving licence, 1 Citizencard ID, and a 1 bit of paper with emergency contact details for Barclays Bank.
.
5. MISC OBJECTS
.
1 wristwatch (a Casio F-91W made in Malaysia) and a partridge in a pear tree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello mate

Sorry it's been ages. I have a day off so I made myself a lovely cuppa (Assam!) and have been catching up on your adventures. Your stories continue to thrill!

Liz and I had EXACTLY the same experience with the repetitive questions; we had some different ones (as Liz mentioned earlier plus quizzing me on my heritage) but equally repetitive. Hang in there, I know it can drive you crazy.

Over here things are good. Went to see the White Stripes in Hyde Park yesterday - it was great. Took me back to when we saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years ago.

Am tentatively (very early stages) planning a trip to Argentina in November for a couple/ few weeks. Will be asking you whether you wish to join us after you're back and settled and you're getting itchcy feet again ;-)

Speak to you soon mate.

Raj.

Julie said...

Hello there -

You have a very nice blog! And not so bad a photo either :-)

I am currently working in Mahendranagar in far west Nepal. I have a few weeks off coming up and I'm thinking of travelling to Haridwar, Rishikesh and Mussoorie. I guess those places will sound familiar ...

Anyway, there isn't any way of getting cash where I am and I'd like to avoid a trip to Kathmandu. Do the places I've mentioned above have ATM machines? And did you have any problems using them?

All help appreciated!

Best of luck with the rest of your travels. Your blog makes an interesting read - keep up the good work :-)

Best Wishes,
Julie
www.julie-in-nepal.blogspot.com

Charlie said...

Hi Julie,

I didn't actually withdraw any money in Mussoorie, Rishikesh, or Haridwar so I can't speak from personal experience, but I've had a look in my guide book and according to Lonely Planet there are ATMs in all these places:

(1) Mussoorie has an ATM (UTI) at Gandhi Chowk on the Mall. This is right in the town centre.
(2) Rishikesh has at least two ATMS - a Bank of Baroda ATM on Dehra Dun Road, and a State Bank of India ATM in Swarg Ashram.
(3) Haridwar has a State Bank of India ATM on Railway Road next to the Chitra Talkies Cinema. If my memory is correct this is in the town centre just opposite the train station. Why not get out some cash and then go see a movie?

Generally, I've found Indian ATM machines to be everywhere and also reliable and simple to use. I have a visa debit card. I'd be surprised if you had any problems finding or withdrawing money in Mussoorie, Rishikesh, or Haridwar to be honest.

Enjoy your holiday... especially the views up in Mussoorie, they really are fabulous.

Best wishes,
Charlie

Charlie said...

Rajinald,

Good to hear from you.

I'd love to go to Argentina but I'm not sure I'll have the money to go by November, and who knows I could be settling myself into a new job back in the UK by then, so I'd say overall the chances of me coming with you are slim. It would still be cool to be asked nearer the time though and who knows - perhaps we could come to some kind of a-r-r-rangement?

Charlie

Anonymous said...

I disagree mate.

"Gilette Fusion power" is da bombe.

Charlie said...

Whilst I find the idea of an improvement being made on the 'Mach 3' I will endeavour to test the 'Fusion Power' on my return to the UK.