Wednesday, May 09, 2007

tibetan monk

I recently had the below encounter with a Tibetan Monk I met whilst walking back to my hotel in McLeod Ganj. It was early evening and I was wandering home after my dinner when he emerged, with a big friendly smile on his face, from one of the many restaurants...
.
Monk: Hello!
Me: Hello.
Monk: (Holding up a boiled egg) I've just bought this boiled egg.
Me: Oh really. Is that your dinner?
Monk: Yes. I want to get stronger. I also go swimming every morning. To get fitter.
Me: Really? At the little pool up by the waterfall?
Monk: Yes. If I can get good enough maybe I can make it to Beijing in 2008 and swim in the Olympics.
Me: That would be good. But you'll have to work hard.
Monk: Yes. Then maybe I win and they give me gold medal.
Me: Would you take it? From the Chinese Government?
Monk: (Chuckling) No I'd say, 'thank you very much, you can keep the medal, just give me back my Tibet!'

No comments: