Monday, March 19, 2007

bury abroad returns

Since my last blog entry I've spent two months in my home town, Lowestoft in Suffolk, having a rest and catching up with my family. I've also been pondering the idea of getting a job, but haven't been able to build up enough appropriate enthusiasm. Instead I've decided to do a bit more travelling.
The plan is to go to India for a few months, and have a good look around. I fly from Heathrow to Delhi on the morning of 26 March and will stay until my return flight leaves Mumbai on 26 July. The itinerary is fairly fluid but will probably include places like Delhi, Amritsar, Agra, Jaipur, Kolkata (Calcutta), Hyderbad, Chennai (Madras), Bangalore, Kerala, Goa, and Mumbai (Bombay) amongst others. I'll get around the country by bus and train, and there should be no flights between locations. As in South East Asia, I will stay guesthouses that are cheap and economical. I'll be travelling solo again although hopefully will meet a few interesting characters along the way.
By way of preparation for my new adventure I've watched an Alan Whicker documentary about India made in the early 70s in which he speaks almost exclusively to white English expatriates. I also have a new Lonely Planet guide book, a green entry visa in my passport, and a proper raincoat courtesy of Millets, Lowestoft. In short, I'm ready to go. Watch this space.
I've given the blog a bit of a re-vamp. I hope you like it. As before I should be making blog diary entries as I go, and I'll also be uploading photographs taken with my new digital camera at regular intervals assuming India's internet cafes have the facilities (click on one of the photo icons on the left hand side if you'd like to look at these).

No comments: