Monday, January 01, 2007

new year in kuala lumpur

Happy New Year and welcome to 2007. I survived New Year's Eve, and am in surprisingly good condition today. No serious hangover, or enforced retreat to my bed this year. In fact I feel the best I've felt for many a New Year's Day.
I had a good time last night: things worked very well considering how unplanned it all was. There were four of us altogether who went out: me, Raj, and two British girls we met called Danielle and Liz (the former is on her way to Korea, and the latter is about to fly to Sydney). We started off drinking a few Carlsberg's in the Reggae Bar and then walked down to the hustle and bustle of Bintang Walk where we had a few more before moving on to the Petronas Towers for the midnight firework displays. The displays were spectacular and very loud; a big crowd was gathered. After midnight we walked our way slowly back to the Reggae Bar and had a few more drinks finally calling it quits around 4am.
I've enjoyed doing something different this year, and being somewhere different for a change, and wouldn't mind doing something like this again in the future. New Year's Eve is generally so hyped that it often ends up being an expensive anti-climax. I'm glad that hasn't been the case this year.
Today is Raj's last day in Malaysia, and my last before going solo again. We've completed all our points of business, so we're just relaxing at the Hotel China Town Inn. Raj fly's back to Heathrow this evening, and I'm going to leave KL by bus tomorrow - I'll be heading two hours south to my next stop: a visit the historical city of Melaka where I will stay for a few days.

No comments: