Monday, December 18, 2006

no longer flying solo

Raj has arrived safely in Kuala Lumpur, sporting a new look short back and sides designer haircut no less, and I suddenly find myself no longer flying solo as a backpacker. It's been great to see him again, and wonderful to have a friend from home to talk to about everything that's happened to me over the past six months. Seeing someone familiar has also really brought into focus how far I've been from 'life' since I stepped on my plane at Heathrow last June, and how completely removed I've been over the last six months from everything I'm used to. It's been brilliant to see him, and we've already had some good laughs, which I've no doubt will continue.

We've pretty much hit the ground running travel wise. Just spent a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur knocking off the sites, and have now moved north, by bus, to the Cameron Highlands to visit the big tea plantations. In a day or two we will travel further northward to Penang to engage with some colonial history. After Penang, we will either go on to Langkawi for the beaches, or east to the Pulau Perhentian Islands on the north east coast. The decision will depend on where the weather seems to be best. Finally, we will work our way back down to Taman Negara, where we will stay and go jungle trekking, ending up by returning to Kuala Lumpur, bringing us back where we started.

Yesterday, Raj and I went to the Batu Caves just outside Kuala Lumpur. The caves, containing a Hindu Shrine, are halfway up a limestone cliff and can only be reached by a climb of two hundred and seventy two steps. They have been used as a shine for over a century and are famous because of the annual Thaipusam Festival which they host, attended each year by a million repenting pilgrims. As penance for their sins they climb the cave steps with weighted hooks hanging from their backs, and spikes pierced through their cheeks. It's a sight to behold (I've seen a documentary by Alan Whicker on it) but when I was there it was all quiet and calm and very hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie, your blog is just getting better and better. It truly is a fantastic read and I seriously think you should look into getting this published once your trip is complete. It brightens up my day...as well as making me feel exremely jealous.

Nothing much to report here....winding down slowly for the xmas break.I am finding myself getting old when the thing I am looking forward to most about the Christmas break is being able to sleep!

Where will you be on Christmas Day...will Raj still be there with you? What about New Years Eve?

Hope you have a fantastic Christmas and make the most of the novelty of celebrating it in the sun.

Love
Hanna xxx

Charlie said...

Not quite sure. Will probably be in either Langkawi or Pulau Perhentian. Either way that means by the beach on Christmas Day/Boxing Day. New Years Eve will be in Kuala Lumpur I think.

Enjoy having a rest for the next few weeks! Have a great Christmas!!

Charlie x