Wednesday, October 18, 2006

keep walking

Today is a real scorcher. It's my last in Luang Prabang, and I'm reflecting on what a beautiful place it is, and what a good time I've had here. My friends Jason and Liz have just caught a flight down to Bangkok (there is a small airport here), so I'm back on my own again and ready to plan my next move.
We all went out for some beers last night (our third night in a row), and discussed the possibility of me visiting them in Australia before my trip is out. This is something I'm mulling over now, and I think there's a very good chance I'll do it. Jason and Liz live in Sydney, and my other Australian friends are down in Adelaide, so I've got mates in a couple of locations that I could go and see. I wonder if I'll really kick myself when I get back to England if I don't go? Especially having been so close. I've certainly got the money to do it - no problems there - and I could roll it together with a further visit to New Zealand perhaps? That would be amazing. Anyway, I'll get back to you on this when I've thought it through a bit more. No decisions have been made yet.
Also to note, last night I ate a buffalo steak. It tasted good but my preference would still be for a beef steak given the choice.
There's nothing left for me to see or do in Luang Prabang so I'm just idling until my transport north is ready. Yesterday I went by boat up the river to the Pakou Caves, and then on by mini-bus to the famous Tad Sae Waterfall. The waterfall was pretty amazing, and I was able to climb by rocky path all the way up. Thanks to a wooden fence across the top I also managed to wade into the water and stand on the very tip of the fall and look down over the edge. It was an amazing thing to be able to do. I took a photograph but it just looks pathetic in comparison to how it looked and felt at the time.
I contemplated buying a second t-shirt from the local night market last night, but decided in the end that it would be needless extravagance, and that the money could be better spent on either (a) a Beer Lao (b) some beef laab and sticky rice or (c) a piece or carrot cake. Carrot cake became the eventual winner.
Speaking of clothes, I had an interesting discussion two nights ago about underpants while we were out drinking. Chatting comparatively we established that: I have seven pairs of underpants and get them all washed once a week, Jason has only five pairs and they last him considerably longer, and Scott (someone we were chatting with) has only three pairs and seemingly never ever gets them washed. Three pairs. Unbelievable.

10 comments:

Charlie said...

Yep. I should get on with it shouldn't I.

Anonymous said...

If you also fancied it, my cousin Chris emigrated to Australia in May. I believe they've settled down somewhere, but I'm not sure of the exact place. If you want details, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Also, I've noticed on your photos you've put things like "Another Wat". What's a wat?

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend that instead of going to Australia, go to Fiji. Go to New Zealand and Fiji, that's my message. I feel that Fiji is a once in a lifetime opportunity, whereas Australia just isn't.

Anonymous said...

My vote is definitely for Australia Charlie.

Hanna x

Anonymous said...

Mettingham is my vote.
x

Charlie said...

A Wat is a term used by Thais, Cambodians and Laos to describe a Buddhist Temple or Monastery.

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd let you know that Scott Mills (currently doing the Radio 1 breakfast show) mentioned about his 2 week holiday to Thailand last year...And this was prompted from listening to a Jack Jones song!! Have you heard any more of him where you are?

Charlie said...

No. Mercifully. He is a Thai phenomenon so I've been spared the last few months. I fully expect to hear his dulcit tones again anytime now, as I am back in the country.

Anonymous said...

Chris has settled down in Brisbane apparently - fyi.