Wednesday, October 04, 2006

the journey to laos

It was a long journey. I'll give it that...
Oct 1, 7pm: left Hanoi on the bus. Drove through the night. It was stormy weather but we were able to keep moving.
Oct 2, 7am: got within about an hour of the Laos land border in the mountains at Cau Treo when we were halted by heavy landslides caused by storms during the night. This road was the only means of exit. No other route across from Northern Vietnam.
Oct 2, 8am: drove back down through the mountain range to the nearest village and waited for the road to be cleared. We were told that workers might be able to clear a path by about two or three o'clock in the afternoon. Sat in the bus.
Oct 2, 2pm: word received that the road could not be cleared. Sat in the bus.
Oct 2, 4pm: gave up and checked into a local hotel. Not cheap.
Oct 2, 12am: my Vietnamese visa expired.
Oct 3, 8am: received word that the road could still not be cleared, and wouldn't be that day. Started to drive south hoping to find another border crossing point.
Oct 3, 1pm: found a local border crossing but couldn't reach this either because the access road had also collapsed. Began to think I would never leave Vietnam.
Oct 3, 4pm: carried on south. Half way back down the country now. Finally reached a border crossing: Lao Bao. I went through with my expired visa. The border crossing guard was a nice man and decided not to fine me, and authorised and stamped my exit.
Oct 3, 4.10pm: had my Laos entry visa stamped. Valid to November. At last in Laos. But not where expected. Southern Laos not Northern Laos. Therefore more driving. We pressed on. Drove north.
Oct 4, 4am: arrived in Vientiane.
Oct 4, 4.30am: checked into the only hotel open in town. Slept like a baby, and praised Buddha that I was no longer on, by, or hanging around a bus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that according the the United Nations Laos is ranked as the world’s most heavily bombed country?

Charlie said...

Yes. I am aware of this.

It also features on the list of 'poorest countries in the world.'

I think the Lao nation also have the lowest life expectancy in the whole of South East Asia (about 50 years old).