Friday, August 04, 2006

pattaya today

Wondering what's going on over here in Pattaya? I've been here since Thursday afternoon and this is what's been revealed to me in the local paper: the Pattaya Post. The word on the street. Or rather, the word on the soi...
Hold the front page: the big news in Pattaya is that construction plans are afoot for a skyscraper which, if built, will be the ...wait for it... 20th highest building in the world. Bruno Pingel, Chairman of Siam Best Enterprises says, 'this one building will change the whole image of Pattaya.' I doubt it will do his bank balance any harm either.
In 'Legal Corner,' lawyer Ponthep Werachon offers valuable advise on how to make a last will and testament under Thai Law. Unfortunately, his article is sub-headed 'Part Two' so it's probably pretty pointless reading this unless you've already been through 'Part One.'
Page 17: The Peak Chinese Restaurant is presenting a month of varied ostrich meat dishes.
Bizarrely, there is a full page article about farting on page 20. Titled: 'Go ahead - fart your heart out,' it is supposed to be a humourous look at the art of wind passing. It's mostly banal although it does tell you a little about the historical reception of farting through the ages such as, 'the Roman Emperor Claudius decreed that "all Roman citizens shall be allowed to pass gas whenever necessary,"' and, 'in the mid-1800s flatulence took centre stage.'
In the classified ads, I note that, for those who want it, a crocodile farm is for sale on Ko Chang for 5.5 million baht, with a 'huge beautiful' house thrown in. I think my own policy on being close to animals which are capable of eating me is fairly well known, but if you want it go for your life.
In the personal adds, Colin asks for a 'lady wanted to work with me part time in the UK to learn and teach tantra (spiritual sensual massage) and be my girlfriend. Interviews on my next trip to Pattaya. I'm young (58), a life coach, lots of fun, spiritual, and a non-smoker. Email: funcolin.'
Tatiana from St Petersburg, adds, just below Fun Colin, that 'I'm looking for business partner in Thailand.' So confident is she in her appeal that she discloses neither what the business is, or when the partnership might commence.
Page 54: Go Go Bar 'Catz,' a narrow and intimate den in the Covent Garden Complex, 'now boasts a raft of chrome pole molesters and is consequently as busy as the best joints in town.' Classy.
And finally, in his film review column, 'Sight and Sound,' reviewer Justin Trousers has resisted the temptation to go and get his name changed by deed poll for another week in favour of doing a write up on American series 'Curb Your Enthusiasm.' Trousers gives it the thumbs up, saying 'it's cynical, self-deprecating stuff and I love it. There are five seasons and I have already relished the first three.' I've only seen two episodes, but I agree it does seem to be very, very funny.
So that's about the size of Pattaya. If you want to learn more about the people of Pattaya, and what makes them tick, you can access Pattaya Today yourself: http://www.pattayatoday.net .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curb catching on in Thailand! Brilliant.

Am off to the Big Chill (festival in Malvern) today and all morning it has been making me think of the deluge we experienced last year at glastonbury. Despite everything we still had a great time didn't we? (including the hilariously disshevelled, bare-foot trip to the Little Chef - that was a low point). Anyway, will miss you this weekend mate.

Take it easy,

Raj.

Anonymous said...

"Walking shoulder to shoulder" with the Thai's? Either their average height has changed considerably, or someone has chopped off your legs! :-)

And how much is 5.5 million baht in sterling?

Charlie said...

Raj: Yeah. Good times. That tent had an amazing capacity for letting water in but not letting it back out. That was also one of the few times I've not finished my meal in an Itty Bitty Chef. Doesn't happen often. They weren't expecting that.

Matt Z: 5.5 million baht is approximately 76251.13 GBP. I reckon you could get it for 60k if you barter hard.

Just my opinion said...

Cool blog mate, nice work. Pattaya is a pretty crazy place. I stayed at Apex Hotel for 450 baht p/n and that place had a pool. Very nice.
I also went snorkelling there for about £11 for the day that included free unlimited soft drinks and a great meal.

Walking street has to be seen to be believed... ha ha ha.