Saturday, August 26, 2006

it's raining

I couldn't do much yesterday except stay in my hotel and watch cable TV and read The Day of the Jackal (which I've now finished) because it was raining hard outside.
Amongst other things, I watched the film 'Napoleon Dynamite,' some American wrestling, and 'Larry King Live' on CNN. Still marooned in the afternoon, I went downstairs and helped the guy behind the reception counter re-design the hotel's promotional literature on his computer so that the English was correct.
I had been planning to come down to Sihanoukville (which is where I am now) on the train, the attraction being that I could have ridden on the roof. This had to be vetoed as too risky: my passport and other vital documents could have been ruined had I been on top of the train during a downpour. I'm a bit upset about this.
Instead, I paid a guy to drive me down here in his white Toyota Camry. We arrived at the beach about 10.30am, and I'm checked in at the Mealy Chenda's sister guesthouse, which looks out over the sea. I've just had a delicious meal in the restaurant. But it's still raining, so, once I've checked my emails, I'm going back up to my room to see what's on the National Geographic Channel.
Hopefully, the rain will ease off by tomorrow so I can do a bit of exploring, have a massage at the 'Seeing Hands Massage Centre' (staffed entirely by blind masseurs), and get some durian fruit from the market. Never had durian? You should, it's an interesting fruit as fruits go...

No comments: