Sunday, July 30, 2006

remaining time in thailand

There's going to be quite a bit of travelling backwards and forwards next week, to enable me to get to the remaining places I want to see in Thailand, and I might be unable to find the time to blog until late in the week as a result.
So here's the plan ahead of time: Monday to Wednesday I'll either be in, or travelling to and from, the northern city of Sukhothai. I leave first thing tomorrow morning. It takes seven hours each way approximately. On Thursday morning (having got back to Bangkok late Wednesday night) I'll be heading south of Bangkok to the coast and the beach resort of Pattaya for a few days rest and a look around. I'll return to Bangkok (again) on Sunday night where I'll spend a couple of days tying up loose ends.
On the morning of 9 August I leave by bus at 7am for Siem Reap in Cambodia (my second country), armed with American Dollars, a 26 day Visa, and a polite demeanour for the border guards. I've been told to expect an uncomfortable 12 hour journey. So, no doubt, a 15 hour journey in reality.
Will hopefully be able to make an entry from Sukhothai, detailing what it's like, but if I can't find an internet cafe then it will be Thursday/Friday in Pattaya before you hear from me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie! Have to confess I was unsure how you might cope travelling alone, but continue to be impressed with your adventures. Appreciate that you want to keep this blog clean as your parents (who I know are still together) might be reading this, but seriously haven't you met anyone 'nice' yet? Those three Korean teachers looked 'nice'... Or are you saving yourself until you have Raj by your side?

(I’ll let you guess who this is from.)

Charlie said...

No not yet.

It does seem to be true what they say about Thai women after European men. Lot's of Thai women do keep throwing themselves at me from women in newsagents asking for my phone number, to tour operators asking if they can keep additional passport photos of me for their purse (both have happened to me within the last 7 days).

I've mostly been flattered and not quite known how to handle it when these things have happened either becoming coy and blushing or a bit sarcastic as a defence. Silly really. I should just dive on top of these women over the counter and go for it.

Vis a vis other travellers - haven't really stuck with anyone long enough for the kind of things you are alluding to, to happen.

You seem very interested in my love life Salima? If you are harbouring unspoken feelings you only have to say so. There's no need to feel jealous.

MUM: this is all of limits when I get home. Let us never speak of this again.